A grand dinner party was lately given at the residence of Bryan McKAY on the occasion of his eldest daughter’s marriage to Robt. PORTER. One hundred and ten guests partook of Mr. McKAY’s hospitality and the young bride was the recipient of many useful and costly presents. Manitoulin Expositor, January 24, 1885

Mr. David MILLER, grocer, has received the gratifying intelligence that he is the rightful owner of 100 acres in the town of Meaford, Ont., and he has taken the legal steps necessary to enforce his claim, which, if established, cannot be worth less than half a million dollars. The station and elevator of the Northern Railway, several large hotels a number of other fine buildings have been erected on these lands. (Sault (Mich.) Democrat) Manitoulin Expositor March 7, 1885

About seven o’clock on Tuesday evening last some Indians in quest of tea arrived at Mr. H. ELLIS camp in the township of Burpee. After giving the Indians some tea Mr. ELLIS was handed the canister by an employee named of Thomas GREXTON who was smoking, for the purpose of replacing the same back on its shelf when he discovered a spark amongst the tea, he put it out as he thought and the Indians departed and at the usual time the men retired to rest. About 1 o’clock Mr. ELLIS was awakened by the cry, fire, from one of the men, when they immediately sprang out of their beds but despite the united efforts of them all (13 in number) it was 3 o’clock before the fire was completely subdued. The damage to the shanty was about $20 and had it not been that the fire was discovered at the time it was, it is likely that not one of the inmates would have escaped with their lives as the fire broke out at the end of the camp where the door and windows were and no other possible egress existed. (Guide) Manitoulin Expositor, March 14, 1885

George BECKS, who lives in what is known as the Green Bush settlement, was burned out on the afternoon of the 14th inst., Mr. BECKS was away from home at the time, and it was with difficulty Mrs. BECKS rescued the children, the fire having caught in the roof and spread rapidly before it was noticed. Total loss; no insurance. Manitoulin Expositor, March 21, 1885

The house occupied by C.B. SAVAGE, Indian Land Agent, was destroyed by fire on the19th. The house was owned by D. THOMPSON, Toronto, and believed to be insured. Contents of kitchen destroyed. Manitoulin Expositor, March 28, 1885

Gore Bay Tragedy

On Wednesday, 11th, Mrs. BOYTER, wife of the light-house keeper, with her fifteen-year-old son, started on the ice from Gore Bay for Spanish River, almost 18 miles distant. The travelling was heavy and they only reached Burnt Island (half way across) on that day, and remained for the night. Next morning the boy started for the Spanish, before reaching which place his feet were badly frozen. Assistance was at once sent to his mother, who was found asleep; she was taken to the Spanish where she afterwards died from the effects of her terrible exposure.
Meantime word of what had occurred was brought to Gore Bay and the deceased’s husband, Geo. THORN, Nellie SHEA, May BAXTER and Alex LEWIS started for the Spanish on the morning of Saturday, the 14th, a day which will be long remembered on account of the terrible storm which commenced about noon and lasted till Sunday night. BOYTER went to bring home his wife and son, the former of whom was not at the time known to be dead, THORN went as teamster, LEWIS and Miss SHEA were going to their home at Spanish and May BAXTER was accompanying the latter on a visit.
The storm had only commenced at the time they left and there seems every reason to believe that the party might have made the journey without suffering any great inconvenience but for the presence of several bottles of whiskey of which BOYTER and THORN partook far too freely.
On Sunday evening Dr. JOHNSTON and Mr. CURRIE arrived over from the Spanish and reported not having herd of the party above mentioned. Messrs. BAXTER, JACKSON, CAMERON and BARRY, the first three on snow-shoes and the latter with a horse and sleigh, started off in search of the missing ones that night but the search proved fruitless.
On Monday morning Messrs. YOUNG, McWHIRTER and CANIFF started on snowshoes, striking for the eastern end of Burnt Island, Mr. W. THORBURNN following with a team and light sleigh. After going about five miles the snow-shoers met with the teamster, THORN, who was not badly frozen; after giving him lunch they proceeded about a mile further when BOYTER, who could hardly walk, was met. BOYTER was also given a lunch, and the party made haste to the sleight which the rescued men had left.
The team was found stationary, facing a big snow drift, about half way between Burnt and Clapperton Islands, ten miles from Gore Bay. LEWIS and Miss BAXTER were on the sleigh almost speechless and entirely helpless, the latter covered with a frozen quilt and her hands and arms frozen to the elbows as hard as ice. Miss SHEA had fallen off the sleigh and was unable to get back in again. The horses had nothing to eat from the Saturday morning previous and were completely chilled through. They were, however, exercised a little and an effort made to move the party home.
In this way about two and a half miles of the return journey had been made when Mr. THORBURN was met and a transfer made, and in about two hours the party were under the care of Dr. JOHNSTON and others at Gore Bay.
Miss SHEA’s feet only were frozen, but Miss BAXTER’s and Mr. LEWIS’ feet and hands so fearfully that they had to be rubbed in ice water for five hours and a half to draw the frost out.
From LEWIS’ statement it appears that about 2:30 p. m, Saturday the party became alarmed at the storm and started on their return to Gore Bay. They had gone about six or seven miles when they lost their way. They then stopped and made a bed in the snow for the girls. On Sunday morning they again tried to find the track, but had to stop once more owing to the storm and remained stationary till found the following Monday morning as above described. LEWIS says they had given up all hopes and Miss BAXTER and he could not have lived another hour.
To add to the horror of the situation, BOYTER and THORN both appear to have been, during part of the time, in a state of intoxication to such an extent as to almost lead to blows. They also appear to have sheltered themselves at the expense of the helpless girls.
Miss BAXTER died shortly after returning home and LEWIS is not expected to recover. The former was a daughter of W. H. BAXTER, formerly of Manitowaning and the latter formerly of Owen Sound. Manitoulin Expositor, March 28, 1885

Dying Between Cockburn and Thessalon

On Saturday morning, 14th a party of seven men with a team left Cockburn Island to cross the ice to Thessalon–a distance of 28 miles. Although there was every appearance of favourable weather at the time of starting a frightful storm of wind and snow from the south-east commenced at noon. The men became bewildered, but kept travelling they knew not whither until daylight Sunday morning, when the wind changed, and as furiously blew from the opposite direction. Through the day the men separated, some burying themselves under the snow, others pushing ahead. This lasted until Monday morning when two of them reached the shore near here, scarcely able to crawl. They reported the whereabouts of three they had passed on the ice that morning at daylight. A relief party at once organized with snow shoes, dock trains and some supplies; they started out and about five miles from here they found one poor fellow just breathing his last and two others were quite helpless. The remaining two found their way to shore themselves and stated on their arrival here that the horses had followed them until that morning when they both died.
The names of the party are as follows: Geo. LORONGO, of Mount Forest, who died; Jas. BARNES, Norman STEWART, Wm. ANDERSON, Chas. LEE, Cockburn Island; Robt. VANNORMAN, Simon VANNORMAN, Bruce Mines. The marvel is that any at all escaped since the horses perished; and to think of passing through two full days and nights without food, fire or shelter in such weather as that of the 14th and 15th is frightful in the extreme.
Poor LORONGO is buried here. The rest of the party are slowly improving at the date of writing, 19th., though suffering from frozen ears, noses and feet.
Some of the rescuing party were nearly exhausted. Manitoulin Expositor, March 28, 1885

Drs. STEPHEN and JOHNSTON have amputated the feet of both LEWIS and young BOYTER, victims of the late freezing disaster between Gore Bay and the Spanish. These unfortunate victims are expected to do as well as can be looked for under the circumstances. Manitoulin Expositor, April 11, 1885

On Sunday last as Mrs. Amer of Tehkummah was about leaving this village for home, her foot slipped and she fell to the ground breaking one arm just above the wrist. Manitoulin Expositor, April 18, 1885

On Tuesday evening Mrs. Price had the misfortune to upset a pot of hot water, thereby inflicting a severe scald. Manitoulin Expositor, April 18, 1885

Geo. GREEN had his left foot badly jammed while working at the Government dock this week. Manitoulin Expositor, April 25, 1885

A cutting box amputated a finger from the left hand of Daniel McVANNEL, of this village, the other day. Manitoulin Expositor, April 25, 1885

Rich McMULLEN was compelled to have the great toe of his left food cut off this week in consequence of his feet having been frozen while crossing from Lacloche to the Current last winter. Manitoulin Expositor, April 25, 1885

Two nephews of Dr. FRANCIS, the CAMERON boys, are with the Winnipeg volunteers at the scene of operations; and a brother of Dr. STEPHEN’s , Arthur, forms part of the intelligence corps just organized. Manitoulin Expositor, April 25, 1885

Rifle Company Formed

On Monday morning last notices were issued calling a meeting for the evening, at the Commercial hotel, for the purpose of organizing a rifle company. There was a large and enthusiastic attendance at the time named. J.C. PHIPPS, Esq., was voted to the chair and resolutions passed favoring the enrollment of a company of active militia and home guard. The “actives” now number some 50 men, about a score of whom have served before in the Grey, Ontario, Hamilton, Queen’s Own and other battalions.
We don’t believe that better raw material for a generally useful rifle company could be picked up anywhere in Ontario. A large number of the men are extra good shots for marching they cannot be excelled, and they could any of them serve either as mounted infantry or with the advance guard of a river expedition.
The men will meet for drill twice a week – Mondays and Fridays – with Sergt. Faulkner, late of the 23d Fusiliers (regulars) as drill instructor. Manitoulin Expositor, April 18, 1885

Wm NEWMAN, of Tehkummah, was to town this week with a fat ox which weighed 2, 175 lbs.
Mr. W.G. WHITE wishes to return thanks to the pupils and others of Valley Union Sunday School for a beautiful book presented to him as a token in remembrance of his labors in the school.
On Thursday night of last week Wm. CHARLESWORTH of Sheguiandah township, discovered a bear trying to break into his sheep pen. The bear won’t try that little game anymore. He is dead.
Corp. Laurie, of the N.W.M.P., killed in Otter‘s fight with Poundmaker, was a nephew of Sheriff Carney.
Mr. MAY, together with Messrs. LaHAYE and RENNIE of Killarney, were 16 hours making from Little Current to West Bay. They left Little Current intending to make here by the ice but could not do so. They attempted to cross West Bay three times on the ice but in every instance failed. Messers. LaHAYE and MAY got in twice, LaHAYE over the knees MAY to the waist. MAY says he never came as near losing the mail as this trip; at one time the two dogs and the sleigh were in the water. RENNIE, to save himself, crawled about 200 yards on his hands and knees. But they reached here safe after one and half days hard work. Manitoulin Expositor, May 23, 1885

Mississauga Bridge Gone
A Thessalon correspondent sends us the following:
I drop you a line or two in regard to the loss of the Mississauga bridge, commonly known as ”Boyd’s Bridge.” The river (in the knowledge of the oldest inhabitant) has never been so high. A man living at the mouth of that stream for the last forty years says he has “never seen the like of it.” BOYD has been down there for over a week watching it as the sudden thaw had raised the ice on the river without thawing it; for five days and debris had been jamming up in front of the bridge and the news having gone the rounds over three hundred people had gathered on Sunday last and watched the jam. Sunday night the booms containing Cook Bros. logs and square timber to the amount of three million feet broke and came rushing, tumbling, and roaring down. The river kept rising until the bridge was completely submerged, huge blocks of ice passed over carrying away the railings and at last the structure began to give way and parted in the middle: half of it floated a few rods down the stream, the other part swung gradually around but did not leave its fastenings. The spiles are all broken off, but the bridge timbers and planking are all sound. It was a matter of surprise to all who saw the affair that it stood the pressure so well. The river is fifteen feet deep at its usual level and seventeen feet from the surface of the water to the level of the bridge floor. A boom of heavy square timber and cable chain of three fourths inch iron links and another of strands of two inch rope were snapped like pipe stems and did not even check the force of the current. The loss of this bridge will be greatly felt by the settlers, as you will have seen for yourself the utility of it on the only road of consequence between Algoma Mills and here. Cook Bros. will lose very heavily by the flood.
Garden River bridge is also gone and Mr. BOYD leaves here to-morrow to see what can be done towards rebuilding it. April 30. Manitoulin Expositor, May 23, 1885

A son of Chas SHIELDS got one of his fingers crushed while assisting in loading a vessel at Michael’s Bay this week rendering amputation necessary.
Jas. CHARLTON, a brother of our respected townsman, has this week purchased for cash three farms in Clover Valley whereon he purposes settling two sons.
The first wolf that has been seen on the Island in years, was found dead on the premises of Mr. James ARNIEL, in the township of Mills. It is thought to have been poisoned. (Guide) Manitoulin Expositor, May 30, 1885

D.A. TINKIS, who has spent the winter in Port Arthur, returned home this week looking none the worse for his winter’s sojourn among the denizens of our western city.
D. L. McPHAIL, formerly of Sandfield who has spent some years in wandering over the great North-West returned this week to his old home and purchased a farm in the Graham Settlement.
Bishop SULLIVAN and family have arrived from Toronto. Manitoulin Expositor, June 6, 1885

Death of Mr. Bassingthwaighte, Sr. One of the oldest and most thoroughly respected inhabitants of Sandfield township passed away on Wednesday last in the person of Mr. Jonathan Bassingthwaighte, sr. Deceased was one of the earliest settlers in the township and although even his residence there has been comparatively short it has been long enough to witness the primeval forest giving place to a flourishing settlement of relatives and neighbors. Mr. Bassingthwaighte was a thorough good citizen, a frugal industrious farmer, and one who was always ready to do his share of the public duty which every intelligent citizen owes to the community in which he lives. In domestic and social life his kindliness was proverbial even far beyond the limits of his own neighborhood, a man whom no one could know without respecting. Deceased leaves a numerous circle of relations who have the sincere sympathy of all in their sad bereavement.Manitoulin Expositor, June 13, 1885

Henry, Arthur and James HUNT succeeded in capturing a large she bear on Friday last and on the following day T. SIMPSON secured three cubs about the same place.
A. GILBERT has returned from Jordan and commenced fishing here again.
Mr. McCLINCHY had the misfortune to lose a fine spring colt on Sunday last.
Mr. A. PORTER, of Paisley, County Bruce, has been visiting at his son’s W.A. PORTER’s for the past week.Manitoulin Expositor, June 13, 1885

Rev. Mr. MORGAN will preach his farewell sermon Sunday evening.
We regret to learn that Sol. KERR, of Bidwell, had the misfortune to have a leg broken on Wednesday last.

Rev. Mr. MORGAN will preach his farewell sermon Sunday evening.
Arthur K. NESBITT, an old soldier well known around Gore Bay, was accidentally killed this week. He and another man were engaged in a wrestle when NESBITT fell heavily. Although he got up apparently none the worse for his fall, he was dead in about an hour afterwards.Manitoulin Expositor, June 27, 1885

Louis N. THIBAUDEAU had his collar bone broken the other day by being thrown from his horse. This prevented Louis from writing at the exam. this week.
G. B. ABREY, of Toronto, has been spending some weeks with his daughter, Mrs. JENKINS. Manitoulin Expositor, July 4, 1885

A little boy of Mr. LAHAYES was drown in Killarney channel last week
Wednesday afternoon about 6 o’clock the lightening entered the house of Mr. SPARROW, Sheguiandah, through an open window. It played sad havoc with the interior, tearing up boards and chairs, killing a dog that was lying at Mr. SPARROW’s feet. The only serious part was the burning of Mr. SPARROW’s right foot, although ten others of the family were slightly affected.
Mr. Geo. BRADLEY is building a picket fence along the front of his premises, this makes a great improvement to the looks of this street. Manitoulin Expositor, July 11, 1885

  1. PARKINSON has closed up business here and is moving to Thessalon. We wish him success.
    Robt. RUSH, of Echo River, has been appointed by the Ontario Government police constable at the Sault.Manitoulin Expositor, July 25, 1885

Mr. FINCH, at Ten Mile Point, has one or two very promising fields; so also has Mr. BURNETT, near Sheguiandah village.
This week the Rev. J. S. COLE left samples of wheat and hay from Mr. SMITH’s farm, Carnarvon, at our office; the later we are told yields two tons to the acre and the wheat is five and a half feet in height and well headed.
On Saturday night last a cow belonging to Andrew HILL, of Sandfield, stuck her head through a harrow and broke her neck.
Sunday‘s boat brought up Mr. KILGANAN and wife. Rumor has it that this gentleman will be engaged on work at Wilson‘s Channel this year.Manitoulin Expositor, August 1, 1885

On Saturday last the young son of Donald SMITH of Ten Mile Point was teaming in hay when the horses ran away throwing him from the top of the load. The boy fell striking his head and seriously injuring himself. Latest accounts report him somewhat better.
Fires were raging all over the Island last week. Some buildings belonging to BOWLEY near Little Current were destroyed; a couple of vacant houses, the property of KINNEY and PROCTOR, on the Lake Wolseley Road, were burned down; two small bridges on the Michael’s Bay Road were destroyed, a lot of fencing at the Abbott Settlement (between Tehkummah and Sandfield) and in numerous other portions of the Island were burnt up. But, great as the damage has been, it would have been much greater had not Monday’s rain come up and quenched the flames. The copious showers which fell on that day not only revived the drooping crops, but also saved many acres from being burnt up. Manitoulin Expositor, August 8, 1885

We understand that Bryan MACKAY has resigned his seat in the Howland Council.
D.R. SPRINGER returned home Sunday.Jas. McLACHLAN, Q.O.R. who was at Battleford with Col. OTTER’s column, was in town this week. He is on the road for a Toronto hat, cap and fur house.
Capt. SKEWES, of Victoria mine, was up on Tuesday hiring men.
H.C. HAMILTON and Willie CARNEY left Tuesday on a sail boat trip to Parry Sound.
Capt. GAITNER was up this week and took down a new hoisting engine for Cascade mine.Manitoulin Expositor, August 15, 1885

Bush fires have done considerable damage along the 8th of Carnarvon, both to the crops and timber. John McDONALD was the first victim of the flames; he lost all of his hay and most of his grain crop, also a lot of fencing. The next was A. BOWIE, who lost nearly all his hay. A. GILLESPIE lost all his hay and had nearly all his fences burnt. John GORDON had his fences and most of his wheat burnt. A few more fires like this will make tie timber a scarce article. All these fires are the result of the Government allowing lumber companies and timber men to cut roads and slash down the bush to feed the fire. We don’t know of one single case of bush that has been burnt from the fallows which the settlers have cleared unless where the fallows came in contact with roads or some of the pine tops. We consider it one of the greatest wrongs that a Government can do; to license a company to take the timber off the settlers’ lands after the latter have complied with the rules laid down for them by that Government..Manitoulin Expositor, August 15, 1885

The usually quiet neighborhood around No. 1 school house [Carnarvon] was on Tuesday evening last aroused into a state of great excitement by the unearthly noise among David WILLIAMSON’s pigs, immediately behind his clearance. Dave and some of his neighbors were soon on the spot when they found a large bear making arrangements for a good supper. Being thus suddenly disturbed the bear started to climb a large maple close at hand but had not got far up when a thought seemed to strike her and she backed down again. Her attempt to climb the tree was soon explained when on looking up among the limbs two large cubs could be seen cooly watching operations below. A messenger was at once despatched for Andrew SIBBALD and his rifle (sure death). Darkness was coming on fast before Andrew arrived. A council of war was held and it was decided to kill the cubs and keep watch till morning for the old bear. This proved to be a wise course for the old dame kept circling around the watchers all night long snorting and snapping her teeth. The night was too dark for shooting but when daylight came one of SIBBALD’s unerring bullets place her hors de combat. When stretched she measured six feet two inches, altogether a formidable looking animal. The cubs would weigh about 40 lbs. each. One of the pigs lost about two pounds of pork but she will live. .Manitoulin Expositor, August 15 1885

  1. ENGLISH is erecting a house in the neighborhood of the new school.
    W. S. GIBBON’s office, Little Current, was destroyed by fire on the 8th inst.
    Sheriff CARNEY had a sudden and severe attack of illness on Tuesday morning, but his is now in a fair way of recovery.
    J. COZENS, P.L.S., and Rev. G.B. COOKE left yesterday on a coasting trip to Fitz William Island, near Killarney, where Dr. TOBY of Buffalo, N.Y. is expected to join them.Manitoulin Expositor, August 22, 1885

E.J. MUNDLE and the ALLAN boys returned from the Lake Superior fisheries this week.
L.N. THIBAUDEAU was elected councillor for Howland, on Wednesday, 19th, vice Bryan MACKAY resigned.
A short time since, Claudie, the youthful son of E. BASSINGTHWAIGHTE, of Manitowaning, almost broke his collar bone; and on Sunday last the same boy fell backwards from the upstair window of his father’s house, striking against a barrel, which was standing on the ground, in his decent strange to say the little one was not killed. but is today as lively as ever.
M. IRVING is down below.
J.C. IRVING is off on a trip to Mackinac and Alpena.
Chas WOODWARD, one of Gore Bay’s most enterprising merchants, was in town this week.
Miss HYSLOP, who has been visiting at E. BASSINGTHWAIGHTE’s for some time past. went below by the Atlantic, Thursday.
Capt. Jas. FOOTE is commodore of the C.P.R. fleet this year. His many friends on this route will be pleased to hear it.
Mr. CHARLTON, a brother of Jno. CHARLTON, M.P., went up by the Pacific to look at some timber limits, near Blind River, in which he is interested.Manitoulin Expositor, August 29, 1885

J.B. WHITE’s stallion died at Providence Bay Wednesday evening. Botts are supposed to have been the cause of death.
The walls of the new Episcopal church at Providence Bay are already partly up and the whole structure is expected to be finished this fall. Jas. KENDRICK is the contractor.
The Pacific had another Mackinac excursion aboard and accordingly will not be down till Monday. Jno. LONG, of Collingwood, is aboard and J.C. IRVING will return by her.
A. E. GOAD, C.E. of Montreal has been visiting his brother-in-law, Dr. FRANCIS, during the past week. He left Wednesday.
Robert MELVIN of Guelph, who has been spending some weeks at Strawberry Island, starts on his return journey per Pacific on Monday.
The following summer visitors took their departure by the Atlantic, Wednesday: Mesdames STEPHEN, LANGRY, A.D. KNIGHT and two children, Misses LANGTRY, Eva LANGTRY, STEPHEN, GAMON, Flo. SPRINGER. Messrs. B. STEPHEN, Frank STEPHEN, Spragge and Clare GAMON, all of whom have been spending the last month or six weeks at the residence of Messrs. STEPHEN and SPRINGER, “Idyll Wild.” The above party was the largest and happiest which Manitowaning ever had the pleasure of welcoming at one time. Every member of the family seemed to enjoy him or herself to the full, and their departure was regretfully alike by themselves and their entertainers. The ancient hermitage which was so lately the scene of hilarity and festivity, now bears a striking resemblance to Tara’s Hall, with Messrs. STEPHEN and SPRINGER to act the part of the disconsolate ghosts which every well-regulated mansion, the glory of which has departed, is supposed to possess.Manitoulin Expositor, September 5, 1885

B.E. CHARLTON, of Hamilton, left for home by the Pacific.
Mrs. MANN left for her Michigan home on Wednesday.
J. D. SIMPSON, Government road overseer, left for home Sunday.
P. MacLEAN, P.S.I. is here on his annual fall tour among the schools.
Miss TUCKER of Owen Sound, who has been visiting at her brother’s for some months past, went down by the Pacific Sunday morning.
The celebrated “Jack” WILSON who was in days of yore one of Little Current’s most prominent ornaments, was a passenger by the Pacific on her last down trip. Jack is now in the employ of the Hudson Bay Co. at Big Pie, Lake Superior. Manitoulin Expositor, September 19, 1885

  1. McLAUGHLIN is putting up a second story to his house.
    Harry VANZANT is about to erect a front to his premises.
    T. PARKINSON’s handsome residence is approaching completion.
    J.J. KEHOE, Crown Attorney will attend the Island Division Courts this fall.
    Mrs. ENGLISH, the popular hostess of the Queen’s, Little Current, was in town this week.
    Mrs. J.C. IRVING and J.T. BURNS returned by the Pacific Thursday.
    E.J. MUNDLE and the ALLAN boys sailed for the Georgian Bay fisheries Monday.Manitoulin Expositor, September 26, 1885

Mrs. JARDINE, mother of Mr. Geo. G.B. PAYNE, was thrown from a wagon in this village last Saturday. Notwithstanding that the old lady is upwards of 70, and that she had an arm broken and her skull slightly fractured, she bids fair to be around again shortly.
“Garden River” bridge has been rebuilt.
Joseph SHARP was accidentally shot by his brother while hunting partridges in the woods of Korah on Tuesday. He was brought to town and placed under medical care, the whole charge of shot having lodged in his thigh.
Rev. N.A. McDIARMID, chairman of Algoma District, has been requested to open and dedicate eight new churches this year, in this District for the Methodist Church, namely, at Sandfield, Little Current, Gore Bay, Day Mills, Ansonia, Fort William and Oliver.
Mrs. George HODGE, of Korah, suffered greatly from fright during the long thunder storms on Sunday and Monday night, and on Tuesday morning a hawk increased her troubles by attacking and killing her fowls. She ran to a neighbor’s house where she was taken ill, complaining of pain in the region of her heart, and despite all the efforts of her kind neighbors she died shortly after her arrival.
King KENNEDY, whose name is well remembered on this Island, will give an entertainment at Little Current, Friday evening, Oct. 9 and at Manitowaning, Saturday Oct. 10. A lot of new tricks will be exhibited at these entertainments.
Carter Bros. Sawmill at Tobacco Lake, has been destroyed by fire (Guide)
Dick CUNDLE has been his exhibiting his three-legged colt from Meldrum Bay. His receipts at London in one day amounted to $60.
P.C. CAMPBELL, Bruce Mines, E.T. WILSON, Lake Superior, and T.B. PATTEN, Little Current were on the Pacific on her up trip Thursday.
Dr. STEPHEN, J. RIDDELL and sister, Alex BRINKMAN, Geo. McDONALD, Adam IRVING, Miss IRVING, C.J. WINKLER, Mrs. BRADLEY and R. CONNELL all went below by Pacific on Sunday
H.B. HUNT, Gore Bay, T. ENGLISH, Little Current, E. LYON, Michael’s Bay. and D.R. SPRINGER, Manitowaning, were among the passengers who went below by the Atlantic Wednesday morning.Manitoulin Expositor, October 3, 1885

Two men at Spanish River were attempting to shoot wild geese when one shot the other instead. The wounded man’s name is BURTON; his hurt is not dangerous.
We regret to learn of a disastrous fire which occurred at Horse Island on the 20th ulto., by which our townsman, Mr. Vesey HILL was a heavy loser. Four fisherman’s houses and effects were consumed; besides trading store, 100 packages fresh fish, 250 empties and 30 barrels of salt. Loss about $2,000 and no insurance. The fire was caused by lightning, and spread so rapidly that all Mr. HILL could do was escape partially dressed. (O.E. Advertiser)
Jas. McLEOD, who lived on 8th conc. Billings, was driving to Kagawong on the 5th inst. After getting through his own bars, his horses ran away and upset the hind part of the wagon, throwing him off, when the wheel struck him in the abdomen, causing death in about twenty minutes. He leaves a family of seven children, the oldest about fourteen or fifteen years of age. He buried his wife thirteen months ago; he has no relations in this country, besides his own children. He was thirty-nine years of age. Manitoulin Expositor, October 10, 1885

Jno. ARMSTRONG and F. HANNAH, saw a fine large bear about four miles from this village, when driving home from Howland fair last week.
Mr. P. DOHERTY left town on Monday for Goderich to bring a life-boat here. Collingwood, it will be remembered was recently appointed a life-saving station, and the Government is now furnishing the necessary equipment (Enterprise)
A large ox belonging to Andrew SIBBALD, of Carnarvon, was in a treeless field during a windy day this week, but on his approaching a neighbouring bush a top was blown off and one of the branches driven seven and a half inches into the ox’s back, requiring two men with a rope to extract it. The stick extracted was seven inches in circumference. Strange as it may seem the ox still lives and doing well.
Jas. MILLER of the Sault, is down at Thessalon, putting a few blasts into his silver mine by way of test. Our readers will remember that Mr. MILLER discovered the mine when keeping store at Thessalon some years since.
Bishop SULLIVAN ordained Rev. F. FROST of Sheguiandah, and Rev. W. GILMORE, late of Algoma Mills, to the Priesthood at St. Luke’s church, on Sunday morning.Manitoulin Expositor, October 17, 1885

Henry W. SHAW, better known as “Josh Billings” died suddenly of apoplexy last week, in Montreal.
On Monday last, Mr. M. CALDER, of this village, very narrowly escaped drowning. In company with Mr. B. BAKER of Clapperton Light, they started in a sail boat for Spanish river. A heavy sea was running; in reefing, a sail gibed, and it knocked Mr. CALDER over board, but he managed to hold on to the sheet rope and this probably saved his life. (Guide)
Two years old, dark red; came on premises of subscriber last spring. Owner requested to prove property, pay expenses and take the animal away. Jabez BRYANT lot 16 con 1 Sheguiandah. Manitoulin Expositor, October 24, 1885

The Atlantic had 432 tons of freight (not counting Jack RIDDELL) on her last trip up.
Geo. LANE from Meaford, came up by the Pacific, and is settling alongside his son, James LANE, in Sheguiandah Tp.
Mr. J.W. JERMYN and the Chiefs of Cape Croker Indians were in town the latter part of last week to sign the surrender of the Western Islands, lying in Lake Huron, and all the Cape Hurd Islands to the Government. The documents were signed and sealed here before Judge BARRETT, of Walkerton (Wiarton Echo)
S. BALL is going to start a drug store at Little Current.
C.R. TINKIS came home from Port Arthur.
D.A. TINKIS and J. TINKIS went below by the Atlantic Thursday night.
H. CURRIE, Gore Bay, was a passenger by the Atlantic on her last down trip.
D.R. SPRINGER, J. RIDDELL, W.L. SMITH, Manitowaning; R. McGEE, Michael’s Bay; and R. TILSON, Tehkummah, returned home by the Atlantic on Monday.
One of the boys got homesick, and S. ALEXANDER was obliged to make a toboggan and draw him on the ice to Smith’s Landing.
A. BRYDON has arrived at the Forks from the Current; also forty shanty men in care of R. ALEXANDER
Captain J. ENGLISH takes charge of the S. S. Aid for the balance of the season, with G. GARBUT as engineer.
Last Tuesday evening while W.B. FOREMAN, a much respected old man, a resident back of the Bruce was sitting at supper in the “Maple Leaf” hotel, Ottertail lake, he dropped of his chair and expired. He has always been very healthy, and had not been making any complaints of ill health.
W.D. FREMLIN has a big contract fro cedar, and Geo Marks & Co. have an unlimited contract to get out all the ties, posts, etc., that they can handle.
I sent you information about the death of Mr. FOREMAN, and since then another sudden death occurred in the same hotel (the Maple Leaf). Mrs. John B. McKENZIE died very suddenly on Sunday morning last. The former death occurred while the party was on the road to the Mines to take the steamer for Sarnia. The latter was on her way home; having just returned from below.
John HOWARD, an old resident of the Bruce, died here yesterday.Manitoulin Expositor, November 7, 1885

The tug Jessie, with her consorts Pandora and Wawanosh, arrived in the harbour Wednesday night. They came for ties belonging to the Sutherland estate. George BARNES, an old resident of Manitowaning, was with the fleet.
John ROBINSON will sell by auction at lot 23, conc. 9, Sandfield, on Wednesday, Nov. 25, a lot of valuable farm stock, &c. Sale commences at 1 o’clock. W.H. PRICE will offer for sale at lot 19, conc. 5, Sheguiandah, on Friday, Nov. 27, a valuable lot of farm stock, &c.
John SUTHERLAND, Gore Bay, has been a welcome visitor in town for some days now.
The winter mail for the Manitoulin will hereafter be carried to Sudbury by the C.P.R., from thence it will be carried twice a week to Little Current. From Little Current the mail will be carried twice a week to Sheguiandah and Manitowaning and once a week to Killarney. Hilly Grove, Tehkummah, Michael’s Bay and Providence Bay will be served semi-weekly from Manitowaning and Mindemoya route once a week. The usual weekly service between the Sault and Little Current will be carried on as heretofore. For the present winter W.S. GIBBON has the contract for carrying the mail from Sudbury to Little Current and H. MAY from the latter place to Killarney.
St. Joe
It is feared that Frank HUGHES and Jas. ARCHIBALD, of St. Joseph Island, are lost. They left Big Channel for home on the 31st October. Their boat and nets have been found but no trace of them has been got yet. Parties are out in search of them.
Gore Bay
E. NESBITT, formerly of this village, has been appointed keeper of the Cape Robert lighthouse.
D. BICKLE and J. MASTIN take the bun for fishing this season. One day this week with a single troll they succeeded in capturing 96 lbs. of salmon trout in one and a half hours. They numbered eleven, the two largest weighing sixteen and fourteen pounds respectively.Manitoulin Expositor, November 14, 1885

  1. TINKIS, of Manitowaning, has been appointed on the new bench of magistrates for Algoma East.
    Young CHIKAK, from South Bay, brought in the first bear skin yesterday. He followed it all last Sunday and part of Monday before he came up with it.
    Thos. INGRAM sold this week to the Michael’s Bay Lumber Co. three hogs which weighed respectively 394, 395 and 568 pounds, or a total of 1357 pounds. There is some money in raising pork like this.
    A very pleasant little evening was given at the Commercial on Monday evening, in honour of Miss Lou ABREY, previous to her departure for Toronto. The young people present spent a very pleasant time.
    The Frances Smith called in Tuesday morning for a cargo of cattle, consisting of twenty-one head, belonging to Geo. M. BOYD. This is Mr. BOYD’s last shipment from this Island during the summer being in the neighbourhood of five hundred head. He went below by the Frances for the winter.Manitoulin Expositor, November 21, 1885

Rev. Mr. McNAUGHTON, the new Presbyterian minister, preached in the Methodist Church Sunday night.
E.J.J. FERGUSON removed last Saturday to the new house near the school, built last summer by R. ENGLISH.
On Friday night of last week, MUTCHMORE’s at Providence Bay was broken into, and about $100 worth of goods taken. Manitoulin Expositor, November 28, 1885

James McCUTCHEON has turned over about one hundred acres this fall; D. LOGAN sixty acres and several other farmers from forty to sixty.
Mr. Col. TINKIS, who has been confined to the house for the past few weeks with a severe attack of quinsy, is now, we are glad to say, quite well again.
A dead Indian was found a few days ago floating in the Spanish. He came from Gore Bay with another man the previous day, and was seen with him going up the river in the latter’s boat. When the body was taken from the river, blood ran from the mouth and nose, whilst there were suspicious marks on his throat, sufficient to show that drowning was only a secondary cause of death.
Burton Bros. have established shanties on the Beaverstone River, about nineteen miles below Killarney, where they have a force of eighty-seven men engaged in taking out saw-logs and square timber. The logs will be towed to Byng Inlet to be sawn up. Robt. THOMPSON, who lumbered in Sandfield nine years ago, and near Mildrum Bay four years ago, is with the gang.
Mr. Jas LEWIS, foreman of a gang of lumbermen working for the Michael’s Bay Lumber Co., was attacked by a large black bear last Saturday while looking for timber. The bear had prepared his winter quarters, and, being disturbed by LEWIS’ dogs, became very savage and made some rather unpleasant howls. Mr. L. did not think it wise to face the bear alone, and so proceeded to the camp for help. Arming themselves with axes, half-a-dozen at once volunteered to go back and meet Bruin. They met him too, but did not succeed in carrying out their business. The bear proved too many for them, and they were obliged to go back much quicker than they came. Manitoulin Expositor, December 5, 1885

Mr. W.M. HANER, reeve of Assiginack, purposes resigning at the next meeting of the Council, which takes place on Saturday, December 12, 1885.
D.A. TINKIS, W. McCOY, and John ARMSTRONG left yesterday for Beaverstone River, in a sail boat. Humphrey MAY went with them as far as Killarney with the mail.
Mr. ANDERSON, of Little Current, has some sixty or seventy men employed in his limit, among whom are a lot of islanders, in getting out logs and square timber. Mr. GILRAC, well known around Manitowaning and Gore Bay, is scaler.
The little settlement along the valley of the Spanish is prospering. Four years ago the first wheat was sent from there to the Island to be ground. Last year J. PERSIAN sent eighty bushels to grist, Levi McKIE about the same, and others more or less. PERSIAN has about twenty head of fine cattle, A.J. FLAVIN some fifteen, and nearly every settler had one or two to kill this year. The last named cleared and plowed thirty acres last summer, and his buildings would be a credit to any farm in Ontario. But notwithstanding all this apparent prosperity, the settlers as yet have no other title to their land than squatter’s rights, and we would once more urge on Mr. PARDEE to appoint a resident Crown Lands’ agent for this rapidly growing settlement, and have patents issued forthwith to those entitled to them.
H.S. SIMS, of Little Current, is the happy possessor of a valuable Indian curiosity in the shape of a pipe cut out of a stone with the figure of a bear on top. The carving is excellent. The pipe was found near Serpent River on the North Shore.
Our readers in this neighborhood will be pleased to learn that A. P. KILGANAN, of the Public Works Department, has taken up his abode at Little Current, where he is superintending the arrangements being made for carrying on the work of improving Little Current channel next season. We are not without hopes that Mr. KILGANAN will become a permanent resident of the Island, as we see he is building a house for himself in our sister village.
Bruce Mines
A young girl, thirteen years of age, daughter of Thomas PROUD, of Lefroy township, was suddenly killed on Saturday, forenoon, 21st ult. She was going into the barn where a threshing machine was at work for her father, and in stepping over the tumbling-rod, her scarf caught and drew her down. The machine was immediately stopped, but too late, as her neck and right arm were broken, and life extinct. Mr. PROUD seems to be one of those persons, whom we occasionally meet, born under an unlucky star. He lost a child and a large quantity of farming implements at the burning of the Manitoulin, and since then has buried a child, and now this disaster follows in the wake of the others.
Some of Mr. ANDERSON’s men wished to make a trip to Little Current before the ice formed. While they came to the north-eastern junction, they could not get a good boat, and were obliged to get Joe CORBIERE’s ice-lined boat; but when this boat got in the water, they thought it would go to the low lands below, but they reached the land of the living in safety.
As Dan SMITH was going to Kalamazoo, Michigan, he gave his chums an oyster supper at the Queen’s hotel. They had a pleasant time.
C. ANDERSON, J. ENGLISH and G. GARBUTT arrived at Little Current safe, after breaking the ice from the Forks to Lacloche, a distance of seven miles.
A. BRYDEN is building a dam on Wolf Creek for C. ANDERSON. The latter intends to make a general boom in Little Current next summer.
Sault Ste. Marie
On the night of Saturday, the 28th of November, a young man named Henry HOLMAN called on our worthy reeve, Wm BROWN, Esq., and told him that he wished to give himself up to the authorities. After hearing his statement, Mr. BROWN directed him to Mr. RUSH, the Government constable, and HOMAN was formally remanded to gaol by Wm. IRVINE, J.P., on his own voluntary statement, which is as follows:- HOLMAN states that on the 6th day of May, 1884, at No. 49, Old Market Street, Bristol, England, he stabbed with a sailor’s knife one Ada JONES, a young lady he had been keeping company with, form the effects of which she died next morning. He says as soon as he had committed the deed, he ran and threw his hat and coat into the river and hid on a Russian brig that was just leaving port for Barbadoes, East Indies. He then shipped to Montreal, and since that time has been on the steamer Sheckluna and C.P.R. steamer Alberta. The authorities in England will be communicated with, to see if his statement is correct. Manitoulin Expositor, December 12, 1885

Ancient residents of this neighborhood will be pleased to learn that S. LORANGER, formerly of Manitowaning, is still prospering in his new home in Michigan. He is treasurer of Ontonagon county in that State.
H. GALLAGHER is about to remove his saw mill to Blue Jay Creek about half way between South Bay and Michael’s Bay, for the purpose of cutting lumber, ties and shingles for the Michael’s Bay Lumber Co.
Thieving and robbery appear to be becoming remarkably prevalent of late. It is not long since we reported the robbery of MUTCHMORE’s store, and now we have to add to this the stealing of a quarter of beef from James KENDRICK, near Providence Bay; the taking of a couple of blankets and some other articles from the farm of Wm. PATTESON, near the same place; and the capture of fifty bushels of peas from the farm of the DEERINGs, near Gore Bay.
The Ann Clark arrived at South Bay on the 8th inst., having on board Phillip WILMAN, whom his father, Valentine WILMAN, had not seen since previous to the American war. Mr. WILMAN, jr., is now living in Washington Territory, where he runs a wholesale saddle and harness manufactory. His journey to South Bay was for the purpose of inducing his father to join him in his new abode, and the old gentleman, notwithstanding his ninety-one years, accompanied his son on the Ann Clark to Collingwood, and from thence to the latter’s distant home.
D. BICKELL and party of this place, who have been up at Meldrum Bay hunting, were very successful, having secured two fine caribou.
G.H. COLWAY, of the schr. Nellie, had his tool chest broken open on Tuesday, Nov. 23d., and about $50 worth of tools stolen from it at Serpent River.
The party mentioned last week as having started for Beaverstone River had quite an interesting time after leaving here. When a few miles out from Manitowaning they found themselves with no wind and ice forming all around them. Later on, however, they were favored with a light breeze, and, after breaking their way through a good deal of ice, managed to reach Indian dock, where they camped for the night. Next morning, they left a little before daylight, and reached Killarney in good time; and while there some Indians came up from Grumbling Point, by the ice along the shore, drawing sleds after them. It was therefore decided not to go any further by sail boat, and on Sunday, during a heavy snow-storm, Messrs. McCOY and MAY started back for Manitowaning in a small skiff with the mail, landing as near this village as the ice would allow, while Messrs. TINKIS and ARMSTRONG awaited at Killarney the return of the Ann Long from Collingwood to transfer their cargo of beef and potatoes from the sail boat to her, hoping she would be able to force her way through the ice to Beaverstone. Manitoulin Expositor, December 19, 1885

The following officers have been elected for L.O.L. 1364: W.M., Thos. FLESHER; D.M., S. WALKER, sr., Sec., D.L. CLARK; Treas., John BENNETT; D.C., R. SIM; Committeemen, A. LEASK, John SHIELDS, C.WALKER, W. James RITCHIE and S. WALKER, jr. It is intended to have a grand soiree in February. Proceeds to aid of Orange Protestants’ Home, Toronto
In our last issue we mentioned that Messrs. D.A. TINKIS and Jno. ARMSTRONG were, on the previous Sunday, Dec. 13, awaiting at Killarney the arrival of the tug Ann Long to take them down to Beaverstone River. On the Monday following, however, they decided to try and reach their destination in a sail-boat with one Indian aboard. They did not encounter much ice till their arrival at Toad Island, about six miles from Beaverstone, when they landed and walked on the ice to the river, arriving at the latter place about three p.m. Leaving there, accompanied by Robt. THOMPSON, two hours later, they walked back to their boat and then started for Killarney. At this time it was freezing very hard, and all the bays were full of ice. They worked down below Grumbling Point, about twenty miles down the North Shore from Killarney and then had to steer about eight miles out in the open lake before getting clear of the ice along the shores. They then put about and started on a straight course for Killarney encountering occasional fields of ice on the way. When about three miles from Killarney they met solid ice and had to break their way through it to the village. The ice began cutting the boat very badly and the occupants expected every moment to see her start a leak. Fortunately, however this was not done until within about a hundred yards of the shore, when a hole was stove in the boat about four inches long and two wide, and she began leaking badly. Happily shore was made in safety Tuesday morning, the parties having spent all one cold night in December in an open boat on Georgian Bay. Messrs. TINKIS and ARMSTRONG remained at Killarney till Tuesday morning of this week when they left in a rowing skiff for Wikwemikong, a distance of eighteen miles. They encountered a lot of floating ice between Killarney and Burnt Island, where they landed about half past one, hauled the boat ashore and left some of their packs it. From Burnt Island our travellers started on foot for Wikwemikong on the ice, at times having to make their way on floating fragments and occasionally dropping through, until the mainland of Manitoulin was reached. Wikwemikong was made at 6 p.m. and a horse and sleigh engaged to drive them to Manitowaning, where they arrived safe and sound Tuesday evening about eight o‘clock greatly to the relief of their friends. Altogether this was the most thrilling trip we have heard of during our residence on the Island, and Dunk and John are to be congratulated on coming through it in safety; but we imagine they are not anxious to try anymore winter navigation on the Georgian Bay in sail-boats and skiffs. Mr. TINKIS reports the safe arrival of the Ann Long at Killarney on her return from Collingwood, on the 17th inst.
Bruce Mines
The house and contents of Joseph TREGINNING, of the township of Plummer, were burned to the ground yesterday. Total loss: no insurance.
On Tuesday, 1st inst., Wm KING, Chas. VASSEUR and David DE JEIR left the Detour for Thessalon in a boat and not turning up as soon as expected, parties went out in search of them. The boat (which belonged to HUGHES, ARCHIBALD and CUMMINGS), as been found splintered into kindling wood, but no trace of the bodies has been seen. VASSEUR had $300 in cash on him (Dec.10)
Wm. WEIGHTMAN, of this place, has been appointed keeper of Sister Rocks lighthouse. (Dec. 15).Manitoulin Expositor, December 26, 1885