Norman Doane of Ten Mile Point, the Victim

A sad drowning accident occurred in the channel between the North Shore and Little Current, near the latter place, on the last day of the old year. The victim was Norman DOANE, a worthy young man of Ten Mile Point Settlement, Manitoulin Island.
It appears that deceased had been employed on the North Shore for some time, and left for home near the close of the year, by way of the Hudson Bay Post at Lacloche. From thence his proper course would have been almost due south, by way of Rush Channel, striking this Island about a couple of miles west of Little Current. But, owing to the heavy fog, he lost his way and wandered east until he came to Hedge’s camp, on the mainland, about due north from Little Current. There he was joined by Mr. WALFORD, who had also lost his way en route for this Island, and the two left the camp Wednesday noon, arriving at Lacloche Island, opposite Little Current, about dark. They attempted to continue their journey that evening, but finding the ice bad, went back to the island and camped for the night. Next morning, Messrs. GIBBON and DAWSON, of Little Current, seeing their fire and thinking it was the Sudbury mail couriers, started in a skiff for Goat Island, across the narrow channel which divides that island from Little Current. On landing on Goat Island, the two last named crossed over Goat to the channel that divides that island from Lacloche Island. The two parties were now in sight of each other, and Messrs. WALFORD and DOANE attempted to cross the channel on the ice to where Messrs. GIBBON and DAWSON stood, but doing so Mr. DOANE broke through. The deceased appears to have kept himself above water for several minutes, and although three men were close at hand with poles, and a canoe was obtained, still they failed to rescue him. Not being personally acquainted with the nature of the ice at that point, it may seem harsh to pass judgment on the three men who were present when the drowning took place; still, we but express our own opinion, and that of almost everyone who has heard of the affair, that under the circumstances had men with proper nerve been there, poor DOANE would have been alive today.
The body was recovered shortly after, and interred on Saturday.
Deceased was very highly spoken of by all who knew him. He was some few years since in the employ of G.R. ABREY, D.L.S., on survey service in the neighborhood of Battleford. Below we give the statements of two of the men who were near by at the time of the drowning.


“I am sure you will regret to hear of the sad drowning accident that occurred here yesterday, and by which a very estimable young man from Ten Mile Point, called Norman DOANE, lost his life. About 8 a.m., seeing a fire on Lacloche Island, and thinking it was the mail couriers, Mr. John DAWSON, of this place, and myself crossed in my skiff to Goat Island to bring them across. On walking across the island, we saw Norman DOANE and a man named WALFORD looking for a place to cross the channel between Lacloche and Goat Island. I walked on to the ice about twenty yards, and called to them to come across to where I was, as I considered the ice good, but warned them to be careful about the air holes caused by the previous night’s thaw; they provided themselves with poles, and started towards me, the deceased, who was drawing a hand-sleigh with a considerable load on, having first put on his skates; they came along for about fifty yards, when he suddenly went through an air hole in the middle of the current, which was only slightly frozen over, the sleigh checking him and making him lose his hold on the pole, which went some distance out of his reach; of course, we were totally unprepared for an accident of this kind, but the young man, who took the matter very collectedly, called out to us that there was a canoe up the shore, and we hurried after it; it was too heavy for us to carry; however, we slid it along the ice (which, of course, took time), and started out one at each end; when about twenty yards from DOANE, the ice began to give way under our feet, and DAWSON, who had no experience with canoes said: ‘GIBBON do not take me too far; I have a wife and children.’ My own leg went through at that instant in an air hole, and, after trying to take out a pole to him, we returned and ran across Goat Island for two boards upon which we had previously landed, intending to go out to him with those; when, however, we returned, he was gone. Of course, the water was intensely cold, and although his companion threw him a pole which he placed across the hole and supported himself upon, he became exhausted and sank; had he been able to keep himself up a few minutes longer, he would in all probability have been saved, as WALFORD had managed to wrench a mast with a piece of rope attached from an old boat, and could possibly have reached him. His going through seemed to cause a disturbance that rendered the ice dangerous for some yards around him. The body was found very shortly afterward by a rescue party, headed by Mr. Humphrey MAY, who chopped their way in a boat to the place of the accident. I think we did everything that three human beings could do to rescue the unfortunate young man, and I considered that the action of Mr. DAWSON, in coming out with me as he did with the canoe, was justly praiseworthy, although our efforts with it were futile. Of course, I cannot sufficiently regret that I called out to him to come across, but it was only after having walked out a long way on the ice, and I should have gone the whole way across to pilot them over had they not started towards me. “William S. GIBBON” Little Current, January 1, 1886


“I left my home on Tuesday noon, and came to Lacloche; on Wednesday morning I left there in a heavy fog and rain: I mistook the mainland for Lacloche Island, and went to HEDGE’s camp on the North Shore, opposite Little Current; I there met deceased, Norman DOANE, and left in company with him Wednesday noon, Dec. 30th, and arrived at Lacloche Island, opposite Little Current, at dark; we started for the latter place but, finding the ice unsafe, went back to the island and camped all night; on Thursday morning, Dec. 31, Messrs. GIBBON and DAWSON, seeing our fire, and thinking it was the mail couriers, came over to Goat Island with a boat, and then walked across to the opposite side of the narrow channel beyond which DOANE and myself were standing. Mr. GIBBON called and asked if we saw anything of the mail couriers; we told him no, but that we understood that they got across all safe. DOANE then asked GIBBON the way to get across the channel; GIBBON answered we could cross right there; he told us to go down the channel and cross opposite him, and that he thought the ice was six inches thick where he stood; DOANE and myself then provided ourselves with poles to start across; DOANE asked GIBBON if he had better put his skates on and the latter answered ‘yes, by all means.’ I advised DOANE not to do so; nevertheless he did so, as he said he could skate better than walk.
DOANE had a hand sleigh which he made fast with a piece of string to his back; he then started to skate across, drawing his sleigh and carrying his pole; when within some two hundred feet from shore, the ice gave way under him; DOANE pitched forward and the sleigh ran up on him and threw him on his face in the water, at the same time his pole being thrown from his grasp by the fall. I then threw him one pole, which he missed; I then went as close to DOANE as I could get, and gave him a second pole, which he hung on to; DOANE also called out to GIBBON to get a canoe which was on the shore of Goat Island. Messrs. GIBBON and DAWSON both ran for the canoe. The canoe being very heavy, they could not carry it, and had to drag it some distance on the ice; DOANE was still keeping himself up with the pole; I told DOANE to hold on that the canoe was coming; he said that he could not hold out much longer, the water was so cold; DAWSON and GIBBON put the canoe on the ice opposite where DOANE was in the water, and started towards him, when within twenty or thirty yards of DOANE, GIBBON and DAWSON both broke through, and could get no further; they then pulled the canoe back; Gibbon asked the deceased his name; the reply was, ‘Norman DOANE.’ Well, Norman, was the reply, ‘we can do nothing for you; I am sorry.’ They then ran to get some boards; they had not gone far when DOANE went down; I also went to a boat and got the mast out of it and went towards him; as I was moving towards deceased, I saw him go under. I also think Messrs. GIBBON and DAWSON did all in their power to save deceased. I also did all in my power to save DOANE. The body was recovered two hours afterwards, about 11:30 a.m., Dec. 31, 1885, in about ten feet of water, by Humphrey MAY and others. “A. G. WALFORD”

Manitoulin Expositor, January 9, 1886



Jno. SHIELDS was elected trustee in Manitowaning section. S. Walker is the new trustee in Hilly Grove. Manitoulin Expositor, January 9, 1886



Mrs. Geo. MORROW, while being driven home from Bidwell tea-meeting on Friday evening of last week, had the misfortune to be thrown from the cutter, her arm being broken by the fall. Manitoulin Expositor, January 16, 1886



J.H. PEPPER and three others crossed Lake Manitou yesterday on a sleigh containing, besides themselves, thirty-two bags of wheat and oats. One of the horses got its leg through in crossing a crack. Manitoulin Expositor, January 16, 1886



Big Push WILKINSON has taken up his abode in California. Manitoulin Expositor, January 16, 1886



Jno. CHARLTON, M.P., has returned home from a trip to California. Manitoulin Expositor, January 16, 1886



J. DYON, late steward of the Atlantic, has opened a steam laundry in Collingwood. Manitoulin Expositor, January 16, 1886



We regret to learn of a destructive fire in this neighbourhood by which Wm. LOCKIER of Sheguiandah township, met with a very severe loss. On Wednesday last his barn and stable caught fire and were totally consumed, together with a team of colts, twelve sheep, nine pigs, a fanning mill, plow, wagon, grain (including some of last year’s), etc., the only fodder left him being two stacks of hay. The fire is supposed to have been caused by smoking on the premises. Manitoulin Expositor, January 23, 1886



On Monday last, councillor-elect J.J. RUSSELL left his home on foot to attend the first meeting of the new Tehkummah council at Michael’s Bay. When some four or five miles from his destination, he was joined by a neighbor who was in a sleigh and also going to the Bay, and with whom he proceeded to make the rest of the journey in company. The day being cold, the two men were walking behind the sleigh to keep themselves warm; when, about half a mile from the Bay, Mr. RUSSELL fell flat on his face. His companion assisted him into the sleigh, and drove post-haste to the village, life passing away just before the hotel was reached. Deceased never spoke from the time he fell. W.S. FRANCIS, M.D. of Manitowaning, pronounces apoplexy as the cause of death. Deceased was in the neighborhood of seventy-five years of age. The body was buried at Hilly Grove cemetery Wednesday, a large number following the remains to the grave. Manitoulin Expositor, January 23, 1886



Jno. SUTHERLAND was at Michael’s Bay Monday, and left for home on Tuesday, He was to sing at a Kagawong entertainment Wednesday. Manitoulin Expositor, January 23, 1886



Municipal Appointments: Assiginack: Thos. FLESHER has been re-appointed clerk of this municiapality, and W. H. PRICE, treasurer. The latter has also been appointed assessor as well. Howland: L.W. FERGUSON was re-appointed clerk; Rev. R. HILL was appointed treasurer.Manitoulin Expositor, January 23, 1886




An old man named PENNY, who lived on the Providence Bay road, died suddenly last Saturday. Manitoulin Expositor, January 30, 1886



There was no insurance on the property of Wm. LOCKIER, the destruction of which by fire was recorded last week. Manitoulin Expositor, January 30, 1886



John MORRISON, described in the dailies as a sailor from Manitoulin Island has died from injuries received at the burning of a Gravenhurst boarding house on the 12th inst. Manitoulin Expositor, January 30, 1886



Strayed from the premises of James McCUTCHEON, lot 4, con. 2, Sandfield, about August last a white heifer rising three years old. Information will be thankfully received by JAS. McCUTCHEON, Sandfield. Manitoulin Expositor, January 30, 1886



KAGAWONG: We had a call from J.B. WHITE, of Michael’s Bay, last Friday when on a tour looking after ties. Manitoulin Expositor, January 30, 1886



By-Law 117 of the Municipality of Assiginack. For the appointment of municipal officers for 1886.
That Thos. FLESHER be Clerk at a salary of $60.
That W. H. PRICE be Treasurer at a salary of $20.
That W. H. PRICE be a Assessor at a salary of $50.
That Duncan A. TINKIS and E.J.J. FERGUSON be Auditors
That Wm. SPROAT, John MOGGY, S.T. NORTON and John RIDDELL be Poundkeepers.
That D.L. CLARK, W.J. TUCKER and Robert FIDDLER be Fence Viewers.
Thos. Flesher, Clerk
Wm Haner, Reeve
Manitowaning, January 18, 1886
Manitoulin Expositor, January 30, 1886




The commissioners appointed to investigate the Algoma disaster have made their report, cancelling the certificates of the captain and first mate, the former for a period of twelve and the latter for six months, dating from 1st December last; the Minister of Marine, however shortened the suspension of the captain’s certificate by three months, owing to his having followed the usual practice on the lakes and previous good conduct. From the report we gather that the Algoma ran a distance of 190 miles “on time,” her position at the end of the run being estimated by the number of revolutions made by the wheel. Referring to this matter, the commissioners are of the opinion that where the position of the ship “cannot from time to time be placed by cross bearing or otherwise from known points on the shore, the log ought to be used; that a leadline 120 fathoms should be used on Lake Superior; that it is necessary at all times when the ship is under way to have a man specially detailed for lookout duty.”
The commissioners further report that “the captains of most of these lake steamers are not navigators, but coast pilots, and it is only by insisting on the use of the log, the lead, and a proper lookout, that safety can be hoped for.”
Speaking of the cause of the disaster, they say “that the ship was lost through overrunning her estimated distance, and had the officers used the log and lead with which their ship was supplied, they would, in all human probability, have been apprised of the danger of their position in time to have averted the catastrophe.”
Referring to the officers whose certificates have been cancelled, the commissioners report as follows: “Both Captain MOORE and Mr. HASTINGS have high characters, and their conduct after the ship struck was both courageous and self-sacrificing, but we feel that no such conduct displayed after the occurrence can atone for the neglect of the simple precautions which led to it. Nor can we accept the plea that Capt. MOORE and Mr. HASTINGS were following the common practice on the lakes; for in whatever measure this may be true, the system is not the less dangerous, nor is it in accord with what we consider ‘the ordinary practice of skilled and careful persons engaged in navigating the waters of the Dominion of Canada in like cases.’”
Manitoulin Expositor, February 6, 1886



W.J. TUCKER proposes building a $600 banked barn on his estate during the coming summer. Manitoulin Expositor, February 6, 1886



We understand that Thos. PARKINSON, late of Manitowaning, has disposed of his business at Thessalon. Manitoulin Expositor, February 6, 1886



Jno. ARMSTRONG arrived home from Sudbury Wednesday night. He leaves fro the Sault next week. Manitoulin Expositor, February 6, 1886



A pleasant little party drove out from this village Wednesday evening and spent a few hours in a most enjoyable manner at the residence of Geo. CHARLTON, Clover Valley. Manitoulin Expositor, February 6, 1886



Messrs. LEASK and CONLON, of Gore Bay, were in town this week. One or other of these gentlemen expects to open a first-class tailor shop in Manitowaning in the course of a month or so.Manitoulin Expositor, February 6, 1886



The Guide reports that D. BICKLE and Jas. SUTHERLAND, of Gore Bay, and H. E. ROSS of Kagawong, have left for the Sault. Manitoulin Expositor, February 20, 1886



We regret to learn that D. BICKELL drowned his team of ponies, about seven miles out from Gore Bay, on his way home from the Sault. Manitoulin Expositor, February 20, 1886



Mr. Geo AVIS and Mr. HORTON, of Cockburn Island, called on their way home from Manitowaning. They made the trip from Manitowaning here in seven hours with their famous dog team.
The notorious Joe MAUGHAN gave us a friendly call yesterday on his way to Michael’s Bay.
Messrs. HUNT, BICKELL, JACKSON and HODGKINSON were down last week from Gore Bay, and livened things up for a while. The Giant is looking well this winter. Manitoulin Expositor, February 20, 1886



Mr. BRADLEY narrowly became the loser of a couple of fine young porkers last Thursday. He has been keeping them in his stable, which, through the recent thaw, had become flooded. When they were found, the water was almost level with their backs, and would, no doubt, in a very short time have been drowned. Manitoulin Expositor, February 27, 1886



Jno. ARMSTRONG arrived home from the Sault yesterday evening. Manitoulin Expositor, February 27, 1886



R. J. ARMSTRONG, J.P. of Campbell, was in the village early part of the week. Manitoulin Expositor, February 27, 1886



H.S. and Fred SIMS were down from Little Current yesterday. They came by the ice. Manitoulin Expositor, February 27, 1886



Mr. and Mrs. G. BRADLEY of this place, spent a few days this week in Little Current. Manitoulin Expositor, February 27, 1886



Mr. John MUTCHMORE and family, of Providence Bay, visited Manitowaning last Monday, remaining over till Tuesday. Manitoulin Expositor, February 27, 1886



W.R. ABREY returned from the Soo last Saturday, having made the round trip in ten days. Chas. ALLEN accompanied him. Manitoulin Expositor, February 27, 1886



We are sorry to hear of the illness of A.P. KILGANAN, Esq. of Little Current. Latest accounts report him a little better. Manitoulin Expositor, February 27, 1886



Patrick CONLAN, late of Glasgow, Scotland, expects to open a tailor shop in Manitowaning week after next. He is highly recommended as being a really first-class workman. Manitoulin Expositor, February 27, 1886



Thos. GORLEY was taken down this week with what threatened to develop into an attack of inflammation on the lungs; but he is now, we are glad to learn, out of danger. Manitoulin Expositor, February 27, 1886



D. BICKLE, on his return from the Soo, lost his two ponies by breaking through a crack about five miles from Gore Bay. Mr. B. was accompanied by Mr. ROSS, of Kagawong. itoulin Expositor, February 27, 1886



Messrs. MORRISON, COOK, SMITH, McCRACKEN and MOSELY, of Serpent River, arrived at the Ocean House to-day, to attend the Masonic Ball this evening. Manitoulin Expositor, February 27, 1886



Chas. NOBLE returned from his trip to Buffalo last week, coming home by way of Parry Sound. He left again for Kagawong on Monday, to arrange for the putting up of ice for next season’s fishing operations at that point. He stopped over here on his way home Thursday. Manitoulin Expositor, March 6, 1886



J.S. PINCH had the misfortune to have a horse drowned on an inland lake back of Collin’s Inlet, on Friday, 28th ult. Manitoulin Expositor, March 6, 1886



Killarney possesses, in the person of Jno. EGAN, the first man who took out a license for the sale of liquor in Algoma. The license fee at that time was only $8 75. Things have changed since Hannah died. Manitoulin Expositor, March 6, 1886



Patrick QUINN, employed at Beaverstone, was kicked by a horse some six weeks ago. He was removed to Killarney for a time, and becoming apparently well again, he returned to work. Shortly after doing so he injured himself in rolling logs, and is now supposed to be dying. Manitoulin Expositor, March 6, 1886



T.J. PATTEN’s new residence, at Little Current, is well under way. Manitoulin Expositor, March 6, 1886



P. CONLAN, late of Glasgow, Scotland, has opened a tailor shop in Abrey’s old stand, Manitowaning. We can freely recommend Mr. Conlan as a first-class workman, and cordially commend him to the business community to which he will be a decided addition. Manitoulin Expositor, March 13, 1886



The Methodist S.s. entertainment in the township hall next Wednesday evening promises to be of a very entertaining character. In addition to the usual music, etc., the farce “He’s a Lunatic” will be put on the boards supported by some of our best local amateurs, including Misses BASKERVILLE and RIDDELL, and Messrs. SPRINGER, IRVING and BASSINGTHWAIGHTE. Admission 25¢. Manitoulin Expositor, March 13, 1886



Mr. W. DICKHOUT, who unfortunately cut his foot about six weeks ago, is out to-day for the first. Manitoulin Expositor, March 13, 1886



Mr. Geo. PORTER, of Gore Bay, and W.A. PORTER, of Kagawong, were here this week, attending the funeral of their brother, who died on Sunday, last. Manitoulin Expositor, March 13, 1886



Geo. RIVITT, of Gordon, has moved his family to Spanish River. (Guide) Manitoulin Expositor, March 13, 1886



J. T. BURNS left for below via Sudbury on Wednesday. His father, whose home is in the township of King, is supposed to be dying of cancer. Manitoulin Expositor, March 20, 1886



Bruce Mines: Last Thursday morning, William ADAMS, a farmer, living about four miles from here, left Drummond Island, where he had been working for some time, to return home. During the forenoon the wind changed, and instead of a drizzling rain the atmosphere became intensely cold and the snow blinding. On Saturday, afternoon, it being learned that ADAMS had left Drummond for home, a search party started out, and the body was fund by Dr. McCORT and A. McKINNON, about half a mile from Big Point, St. Joseph’s Island. It was found he had on three shirts and three pairs of pants, and having a lee shore all the way his experience must have been a hard one to be compelled to sink in his tracks. The deceased bore an excellent character among his neighbors, and his wife has the sympathy of the whole neighborhood in this being left with five small children to eke out a maintenance rendered doubly difficult by the loss of their natural bread-winner. Manitoulin Expositor, March 20, 1886



A letter has just been received from “Jack” WILSON. Jack is still in the employ of the H. B. Co., away up at Pic River on Lake Superior. He wished to be remembered to all the boys, but more particularly to R.A. and the “Giant”. Manitoulin Expositor, March 27, 1886



Jos. HUGHES, who bought out C.J. WINKLER about two months since, turned the business over to the old proprietor two weeks ago, and on Thursday last took his departure rather suddenly for fresh fields of mercantile enterprise, leaving a few creditors to mourn his hasty exit. Manitoulin Expositor, March 27, 1886



A mild form of diphtheria has been going the rounds of the village ever since last fall, but no serious apprehensions were entertained until last Saturday night when a daughter of the Rev. Mr. SCOTT succumbed to the disease. Quite a number of others are still suffering from the epidemic, although none of them appear to be in danger. Manitoulin Expositor, March 27, 1886



One of the chimneys in W. L. SMITH’s house took fire Thursday evening, and but for the prompt assistance of neighbors, the whole roof would soon have been in a blaze. The efforts made to extinguish the flames were very greatly facilitated by the presence of a stationary ladder and the fact that the pump is close to the house. Manitoulin Expositor, March 27, 1886



John RIDDELL has purchased the ENDERSBY farm. Manitoulin Expositor, March 27, 1886



Carnarvon: The teacher at No. 1 is becoming rather notorious in the section for his dog-killing propensities. Last week two dogs fell victims to his murderous aim, and he declares he will kill every canine visitor that comes to school. Manitoulin Expositor, March 27, 1886



A few of the sports around Mindemoya are talking of having races on the ice next week. Jas. LAZENBY says he will trot his brown ox if MUTCHMORE’s mare is barred. Manitoulin Expositor, March 27, 1886



We are going to lose one, if not two, of our townsmen, in the persons of Messrs. H. E. ROSS and J.A. WILSON, who intend putting in a summer at the Sault. We extend to them our best wishes, hoping kind fortune may attend them. Manitoulin Expositor, March 27, 1886



Mrs. R.J. PORTER and Miss MACKAY of Little Current, have been visiting at W.A. PORTER’s for the past week. Manitoulin Expositor, March 27, 1886



Jno. SUTHERLAND gave us a friendly call last Friday on his way home from Michael’s Bay. Manitoulin Expositor, March 27, 1886



A funeral on Manitoulin
(from the Globe)


We had our first funeral in the settlement last week. A little boy, two years of age, whose parents emigrated here from Scotland about a year ago, died on Wednesday last and was buried on Friday. In new settlements there is nothing mean or counterfeit about the hospitality, kindness or sympathy of the people. Here you find the genuine article. Here, if anywhere, men observe the injunction of St. Paul to “rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.” A combination of circumstances, among which might be mentioned equality of wealth, isolation from the busy fretting world and similarity of pursuits, tender to produce and foster these social phenomena. Of course, Sailor Jack and I attended, as did all the men and all the young women in the section. The log house — a large one for this country — was quite full before we got there. The parents, a very handsome young couple, though outwardly calm and undemonstrative like the majority of the Scotch, could not entirely conceal the keenness of their grief. The mother, pale and worn, with a haunted wistful look in her fine blue eyes, sat by the side of the spotlessly clean bed on which her dead child lay in a rude, unpainted coffin, the work of some handy neighbor. Her fingers wandered nervously about the little corpse, now touching the tiny folded hands, then smoothing the soft, golden hair, while her piteous yearning glance was occasionally raised to the kind faces near her. Only once, when a young girl came softly up, bent over the dead child, kissed it lips, and left a tear on the pale, still face, did the mother’s tears overflow.
In the absence of a clergyman (the nearest lives thirty miles away), the funeral service was conducted by a ruddy grey-haired Scotchman of the name SINCLAIR. His rough, massive features, the bore the impress of strong good sense and generous disposition, were lighted up by a pair of wonderfully bright grey eyes; his voice was full and mellow, with a very pronounced Aberdeenshire accent. He read the 121st Psalm, which was capitally sung by those present to the tune of Dundee.
After a short prayer by some one in a remote corner whom I could not see and scarcely hear, Mr. SINCLAIR read, in a way that would have made some professional men stare, the eleventh chapter of St. John’s gospel from the beginning to the end of the 36th verse. Then closing his Bible he spoke somewhat as follows: “My dear neebors, I do love to read this chapter o’ St. John, whaur he gies us a glimpse o’ oor dear Saviour intensely ‘touched with the spirit of our infirmities,’ even to the sheddin’ o’ tears wi’ twa disconsolate sisters ower their did brither Lazarus. When I think o’ the Lord Jesus Christ greetin’ jist like some o’ oorsels to-day, it gars Him seem vera near to me, a’maist as if I could rax oot to Him and get that warm, firm grip o’ the han’ that is sometimes mair expressive of sympathy an’ desire to comfort than ony words. Notice hoo ready an’ willin’ he is to comfort His frens. He kent that Lazarus was deid, but He didna wait for Martha and Mary to come hine to Him for comfort. Na, na. He cam wi’ it ta them, albins a lang teuch road in bisselin weather, for He cam frae the country ayont the Jordan, an’, as near as I can mak oot, it was aboot mid-summer. My freens, it’s aye sae. Jesus is ready an’ willin’ to hear an’ help us afore we’re ready to ask. Observe, though, that Martha, ‘as soon as she heard that Jesus was coming,’ vera properly gaed oot ta meet Him, and sae did Mary–puir, tender-hearted lassie, aiter Martha let her ken that Christ was near. Why did they gae oot ta meet Him, think ye? Because they knew that He loved them as He had loved their dead brither, therefore they felt sure o’ sympathy and comfort. There were ither reasons, nae doot, but thae are aneuch jist noo. My freens, I’m nae gaen to spekylate yeeslessly aboot fither oa nae the Maister wud hae gaen me clear to Lazarus’ hoose, had Martha an’ Mary nae gang oot ta meet him. That’s nae to the pint noo. We ken that in their sorrow and bereavement they did gang to meet Him, expeckin sympathy an’ comfort, an’ we ken also that they gat them. Sae, my freens, gin we in oor sorrow an’ bereavement will only gae oot an’ meet the dear Masiter, lippening tae Him, as thae twa lassies did, we’ll get, as they gat, far mair than we ask or expeck. Eh, sirs! He s a kind, kind Maister. There’s nae words in ony langidge, there’s nae words in a’ the langidges o’ this wide warl, to express the love He has for ane an’ a’ o’ us, the sympathy He has wi’ us in oor sorrows, an’ the comfort He’ll g’e us gin we only gang oot to meet Him. Oh, puir bereaved mither, jist gang oot an’ meet the dear, kind Maister, (He’s close at hand’ waiting for ye), an’ jist fa’ doon at His feet greetin like Mary, and say: ‘Oh, My Lord! I have lost my puir wee lammie, my bonnie winsome bairnie, that was like a lauchin sunbeam i’ the hoose, an’ my vera hert is like to brak wi wae, an’ I’m come to you, Maister, for sympathy an’ comfort,’ an He’ll gie ye them jist as He gae them to Mary, aye, an’ gin ye’ll on’y look aricht, ye’ll see Him greeting wi ye as He did wi Mary. He’ll aiblins haud the gate o’ heaven a wee bit ajar for ye, an’ let ye get a bit blink o’ yer lost lammie playin on the bonnie banks whaur the moss is aye soft, the thyme is aye sweet, and the gowans aye blooming, whaur there’s no caud nor hunger or darkness, nae death nor sorrow, nor tears, for evermair. Amen.”
The simple truths spoken in the homey doric of her native land seemed to comfort the bereaved mother, and the look of intense gratitude with which she regarded the speaker made her comely features very pleasant to look upon. The little coffin, was reverently closed, carried outside, and raised on the shoulders of Sailor Jack and another stalwart pioneer. The mother followed the corpse to the door, by the side of her husband. Then, oblivious of everything but her bereavement, she threw herself on her husband’s breast, and wailed out: “Oh, Willie! Willie! this is hard to bide. I wish my bairnie could hae been buried amang oor ain kin at home.” Willie, with twitching lips kissed his wife, and as he gave her to one of the women in attendance, whispered sadly, “God’s will be done,” Mary.
We buried the child at the foot of a spreading Norway pine, on a sandy knoll on the rear end of his father’s lot. The bitter cold and driving snow hurried our movements. When the grave had been covered up, Mr. SINCLAIR removed his hat and with touching fervor uttered these words: “For I know my Redeemer liveth, and that He shall stand at the latter day upon the earth; and though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God.”
Then came a general leave-taking, during which Sailor Jack strode up to Mr. SINCLAIR, and seizing his hand gave him a grip that made the recipient wince, while in very husky voice he delivered himself of the following remark: “Cap! you’re a shipmet as is a shipmet. You’re A 1 at Lloyd’s, coppered for nineteen years. D—– if you aint. I like you. Good-bye.” Notwithstanding his brusque speech, and a certain rough manner that smacks of the forecastle, I think my neighbor Jack has a good deal of genuine manhood in him.
Manitoulin Expositor, April 3, 1886



Jehiel TINKIS, H. S. SIMS, and Robt. THORBURN have been gazetted license commissioners, under the Ontario Liquor License Act, for Algoma East. Manitoulin Expositor, April 3, 1886



Wm. TRACY will sell by Public Auction, on Friday the 16th day of April, at lot No.4, con. 1, Tehkummah, all the stock, implements, etc., of the proprietor Mr. John ROBINSON. Manitoulin Expositor, April 3, 1886



A week ago yesterday, Mr. Jos. OLMOND started for the bush to draw in a load of wood. When just over Gray’s hill, on the Manitou road, one of his horses fell and, it is thought by some, broke its shoulder. The poor beast limped all the way back on three legs, being unable to use the injured limb. Mr. OLMOND thinks the shoulder is only severely sprained, and has the horse strung up in hopes that he may get all right. It would prove a heavy loss should there be any bones broken, as it was a fine young horse and could not be replaced for less than $150. Manitoulin Expositor, April 3, 1886



J. ALLDRED, from Serpent River, is stopping at the Queen’s awaiting the arrival of the first boat. Manitoulin Expositor, April 3, 1886



Wm. MALTAS, merchant, of the firm of Maltas & Patton, went below by the last out-going Sudbury mail. Manitoulin Expositor, April 3, 1886



D. BICKELL and H.B. HUNT, of Gore Bay, were at the Queen’s hotel over night on their way home from the Manitowaning races. Manitoulin Expositor, April 3, 1886



Among the new buildings in course of erection, J. HASTIE, our enterprising blacksmith, is putting up a commodious shop. Rumor has it that John, who has been living in bachelorhood, is about to become a benedict. Manitoulin Expositor, April 3, 1886



Mr. MUTCHMORE and son arrived from Providence Bay Thursday evening. Manitoulin Expositor, April 3, 1886



Alex. BRINKMAN returned from the Bluejay last night, where he spent the greater part of the week. Manitoulin Expositor, April 3, 1886



Wm. HOPKIN, reeve of Tehkummah, called in to see us this week. He reported the sleighing is done in some places, on account of the heavy rain on Thursday. Manitoulin Expositor, April 3, 1886



Jas. WHITE, R, McGEE and C. MORRISON, of Michael’s Bay, arrived here last Wednesday. Messrs. McGEE and MORRISON returned to the Bay that same evening, and Mr. WHITE returned on Friday. Manitoulin Expositor, April 3, 1886



Mr. Dunc. COWAN has taken the advice of Horace GREELEY and gone west. We wish Mr. COWAN every success in his new home. Manitoulin Expositor, April 10, 1886



A man named WILLIAMS shot at and wounded Bryan MACKAY, near Little Current, on Thursday. The fire-arm used was a shot gun, charged with light shot. WILLIAMS was only some fifteen feet away from MACKAY when the shooting was done, and a large portion of the charge lodged in the latter’s left hand and a few grains in his thigh. The would have been much more serious but that a plug of T.& B. received some fifteen grains of the shot, and prevented them entering the wounded man’s person. After being shot, MACKAY walked about half a mile before receiving attention, and as a consequence lost a great deal of blood. The alleged cause of the trouble was jealousy, but as the man who did the shooting is now in prison awaiting the course of justice, we refrain from comment. Manitoulin Expositor, April 10, 1886



Last Monday morning, two little boys of Mr. BUDGE, who lives near Manitou Lake, went to the bush to have some sport with their bows and arrows. To their great surprise on entering the bush, they spied a bear in a tree. Bruin many times attempted to descend, but the boys managed to keep him there. Finally they decided on getting a gun, and struck off to Mr. McMULLEN’s. Shortly after they had gone Mr. BUDGE and another of his sons happened to pass that way, and they too were not a little surprised . The son immediately started off home for his gun, leaving Mr. BUDGE to watch the bear. The two parties arrived back about the same time, Mrs. McMULLEN, armed with a large knife, accompanying the little fellows. Mr. B. now calmly proceeded to saturate his bearship with lead, and charge after charge was poured into him, but apparently without much effect. Once when the bear had descended almost to the ground, Mrs. McMULLEN, with knife in hand, pluckily rushed forward and would no doubt have finished the job, had he not quickly ascended above her reach; and having climbed into a crutch of the tree, they allowed him to bleed to death. To secure the carcass, it was found necessary to cut down the tree, which was the work of but a few minutes. (-Com.) Manitoulin Expositor, April 10, 1886



Although not altogether unexpected, still the announcement of the death of P. MacLEAN, P.S.I. for Algoma, which occurred in Milton on the 26th ult., will prove a shock to the people of this district. It seems hard to realize that he who, when last among us, was in full vigor of his manhood, is now cold in death. The deceased held the universal esteem of our people, alike for his personal qualities and his efficiency and earnestness as an inspector. Mr. MacLEAN devoted a great deal of time to, and spared no personal labor in, developing the school system of Algoma. His heart was in his work, and the fruits of labor will long survive him. To the bereaved family we extend the sincere sympathy of the people of Algoma. Manitoulin Expositor, April 10, 1886



Jno. ARMSTRONG started on Thursday morning with a load of beef for Collins Inlet. Manitoulin Expositor, April 10, 1886



Chas. NOBLE and John LAHAYE arrived here from Killarney on Wednesday. They returned next morning taking with them a heavy load of provisions. Manitoulin Expositor, April 10, 1886



Miss Minnie SAVAGE, of Gore Bay, arrived here this week, and was a guest at the Queen’s hotel for a few days. Manitoulin Expositor, April 10, 1886



A house owned by H. HEDGE, and occupied by a family named FERGUSON, in Green Bush settlement, was destroyed by fire a few days ago. The owner lost a quantity of furniture as well as the house, and had no insurance. Manitoulin Expositor, April 10, 1886



A number of buildings are in course of erection. The drawback now is the want of lumber, and later on when plenty of lumber has been cut there will be quite a boom in building. Mr. GARBUT and Mr. JEFFREY are each building a new house, and Thos. ENGLISH has commenced his new building which is intended for shops, and Mr. DAWSON is erecting a building on the island for a gentleman from Guelph. B. MACKAY’s new barn will be the largest on the Manitoulin. Manitoulin Expositor, April 10, 1886



Miss SAVAGE, of Gore Bay, is visiting at Mr. J.C. PHIPPS. Manitoulin Expositor, April 10, 1886



Miss LAHAYE, of Killarney, was a guest at The Commercial last Sunday. Manitoulin Expositor, April 10, 1886



Messrs. McCLINCHEY and PORTER, of Kagawong, visited Manitowaning last Saturday. They returned on Monday. Manitoulin Expositor, April 10, 1886




Connected with the early history of the mainland in the northwest of the Manitoulin Channel are incidents which, woven together by a skilled narrator, would form a story of the most graphic interest. Early times at Bruce Mines, once the centre of a mining boom, the adventures of pioneer lumbermen, privations of early settlers, and tales connected with waifs, and strays from all over the world, who naturally seem to drift to out-of-the-way places, would all lend their quota of interest to such a work.
Below we give these three short sketches, picked up on a recent trip, as specimens of what might be gleaned by a writer with the time and talent necessary to do justice to the subject.


Some twelve years ago last fall, a party of seven lumbermen in the employ of Williams & Murray, of Blind River, left the latter place with a scow load of oats and general supplies which they were engaged to remove inland. The scow carried some ten tons, and the party worked it up the river for ten miles by the aid of sweeps. They reached a camp on the river bank about night-fall, and fearing rain, piled the bags of oats in a single row with the butts against the back end of the building. Wearied with their labors, they lay down to sleep with their heads towards the bags, little thinking they were never to rise again. Piled as they were, the bags naturally inclined inwards and during the night the whole pile fell forward together, and remained on top of the weary sleepers. Owing to their recumbent position, the men were unable to rise, and all perished together as they lay, away from home, family, friends and with no one to bear their last message to their loved ones. Three or four days afterwards a man stopped at the camp, took from it some provisions for his evening and morning meal, camped outside and remained till morning without suspecting that he was so close to the scene of a terrible tragedy, although he afterwards said that he thought once or twice he heard sounds as of breathing. About a week after the men had lain down for their last sleep on earth, Mr. MURRAY, becoming alarmed for their safety, started out in his canoe and arrived at the camp near midnight. First striking a light, he commenced moving the bags, and discovered a sight the horror of which it is unnecessary to describe. Suffice it to say he went back and the story of what had happened soon became known. The names of the men were: CORBIER, two BUIEs, PROULX, CONNOR, and two other strangers, the last three being from Goderich. One of the men, PROULX, left a wife and eight children, for whose benefit considerable relief was obtained by the generous exertions of Messrs. GORRELL, MURRAY and others.
Such is the story of perhaps the greatest tragedy which ever occurred in the Canadian lumber woods.


About six years since, The Expositor published the story of the sad end of a young Englsihman, Arthur Cole HILL, who was reported to be well connected in the Old Country, and who was in the service of the H.B. Co., in this District.
While so employed, he married one of the Serpent River squaws, as a consequence of which his connection with the Co. was severed, and he became practically one of the band into which he had married. Unaccustomed to the hardship of such a life, he soon succumbed to disease, and was buried back of Blind River, a carved plank, prepared by Messrs. ALDERSON and WILSON, two of his compatriots, being erected to his memory. One child was the result of the union with his Indian wife, and this child is now being educated at the Shinguank Home, while a rude plank is all that is left to mark the unhappy close of its father’s mis-spent life.
The next case is one of a somewhat similar nature. Joseph George COLE was an Englishman of some fifty years of age. He first came to this District in connection with the old Murdock survey and was afterwards in charge of the Government buildings at French River, when the Mackenzie Government proposed making that place a lake port in connection with the C.P.R. system. At French River, Mr. COLE became acquainted with a widow whom he afterwards married. Six years ago, while going alone in a sail boat from Blind River to Algoma Mills, he was drowned. The body afterwards drifted ashore some two or three miles below Algoma Mills, and was buried on the beach, where it still remains. Last summer a solicitor at Christchurch, Eng., communicated with Mr. McNABB, of Blind River, concerning certain property which deceased was entitled to in England. The widow is supposed to be in the vicinity of the Sault, and the child, the result of the union, is with Mr. Jas. McGAULEY, of Mississauga.
Manitoulin Expositor, April 10, 1886




A cubit is two feet.
A pace is three feet.
A fathom is six feet.
A span is 10 7/8 inches.
A palm is three inches.
A great cubit is 13 feet.
A league is three miles.
There are 2, 750 languages.
Oats, 35 pounds per bushel.
Bran, 35 pounds per bushel.
A day’s journey is 33 1/8 miles.
Barley, 48 pounds per bushel.
Two persons die every second.
Sound moves 743 miles per hour.
A square mile contains 640 acres.
A storm blows 36 miles per hour.
Buckwheat, 52 pounds per bushel.
Coarse salt, 85 pounds per bushel.
A tub of butter weighs 84 pounds.
The average human life is 31 years.
A barrel of rice weighs 600 pounds.
A acre contains 4 840 square yards.
A firkin of butter weighs 56 pounds.
A barrel of flour weighs 196 pounds.
A barrel of pork weighs 200 pounds.
Slow rivers flow five miles per hour.
Timothy seed, 45 pounds per bushel.
A hurricane moves 80 miles per hour.
Rapid rivers flow seven miles per hour.
A hand (horse measure) is four inches.
A rifle ball moves 1,000 miles per hour.
Electricity moves 228,000 miles per hour
The first lucifer match was made in 1848
The first horse railroad was built in 1826-7
A mile is 5,280 feet, or 1, 760 yards in length.
Corn, rye and flaxseed, 26 pounds per bushel.
The first steamboat plied the Hudson in 1807.
A moderate wind blows seven miles per hour.
Wheat, beans and clover seed, 60 pounds per bushel.
Manitoulin Expositor, April 17, 1886




One of the horses with which Jno. ARMSTRONG drove to Collins Inlet and back last week, died Saturday evening. This is the second that John has lost this winter. Manitoulin Expositor, April 17, 1886



We are pleased to note that Mr. OLMOND’s horse is improving. Manitoulin Expositor, April 17, 1886



A valuable horse belonging to S. R. McKEWEN died this week, after a short illness. Manitoulin Expositor, April 17, 1886



Bryan MACKAY, who was shot at Little Current last week, is doing as well as can be expected. WILLIAMS, who did the shooting has been committed for trial. Manitoulin Expositor, April 17, 1886



A house, owned and occupied by L. BRANDOW, in the Green Bush settlement, was consumed by fire on Tuesday morning last, owing to a defective stovepipe, and everything was lost; no insurance. Manitoulin Expositor, April 17, 1886



Messrs. LA RUSH and FORESHEW are busy hanging net preparatory to spring fishing. Manitoulin Expositor, April 17, 1886



We understand that Mrs. E. FOSTER, who has been very low for the past week or two, is improving and is able to be around again. Manitoulin Expositor, April 17, 1886



In Memoriam

Sada Bell Scott

Died at Manitowaning, March 20th
Deep have the shades of death come down
Upon our home, of late so bright;
The path of life with roses strewn
Has almost lost its living light.

Our home was like a flowery dell,
With joy and influences sweet;
Together we did sweetly dwell,
And scarce were ever called to weep.

Oh, Death! thou mighty monster, wild!
Why hast thou crushed our lovely flower?
Why hast thou called our darling child,
And left us in such grief this hour?

I hear a voice from o’er the stream,
The narrow stream, which us divides;
I see the valley just between,
And waves of joy are rolling wide.

There is a boat upon the stream;
There is a path up through the dell;
There is a bright and glorious scene,
And that is where your darling dwells.

You ask me why I called her home?
The question do not ask of me;
I only came down to dispense
The will of One who loveth thee.

“Tis better far that Sada sleeps,
From earthly life forever free;
Though o’er your heart grim sorrow creeps
You shall in future all things see.

The pain has left her lovely head,
Her thirst is quenched at heaven’s stream.
The music of her voice is heard
Rolling along Redemption’s theme.

Weep not nor sorrow for the lost,
(“She is not lost, but gone before;”)
No more her boat is tempest-tossed,
The sin, the sorrow, both are o’er.
Manitoulin Expositor, April 17, 1886

(NOTE: This may be the first printed Memorial of the Expositor)



The death of two sons of our former townsman, John CARNEY, on the same day. Albert, a fine young man of nineteen, employed in the bindery of Rutherford Bros., died yesterday morning after an illness of a few days. A telegram was dispatched to Chicago, for his brother Richard to come to his funeral, when the sad answer came back this morning that he had died last evening, the same day as his brother (O.S. Times) Manitoulin Expositor, April 24, 1886



Jno. LANE has purchased J. INGRAM’s young Clydesdale stallion and will travel him during the present season calling at Green Bay, Sheguiandah, Little Current, Moggy’s, Manitowaning, Ingram’s and the Bluejay. The horse is known as Young Dundonald. Manitoulin Expositor, April 24, 1886



Bryan MACKAY is somewhat worse this week. Manitoulin Expositor, April 24, 1886



J.C. IRVING broke through the ice Wednesday while trying to find out how strong it was. Manitoulin Expositor, April 24, 1886



A letter from J.T. BURNS announces that his father is confined to the bed most of the time. Manitoulin Expositor, April 24, 1886



R. M. STEPHENS, M.D., is adding materially to the appearance of his property by terracing the back in front of his residence. Manitoulin Expositor, April 24, 1886



Gore Bay: An incipient blaze at P. CONLAN’s residence, caused by defective stove-pipe.
J. H. THORBURN lost a valuable cow by falling through a hole where has had been cut.
Simon FRASER dropped his team through the ice while driving from the Serpent. One of the horses, while struggling to extricate itself, gave Si. a severe cut on the forehead. Help being at hand, the team was saved. Manitoulin Expositor, April 24, 1886



Robt. LEWIS, of Sheguiandah, had four sheep killed by a bear two weeks since. Manitoulin Expositor, May 1, 1886



Capt. Jas. FOOTE will sail the Athabasca, with Geo SIMPSON as first mate; Capt. ANDERSON will command the Alberta, J. McALLISTER, first mate; Capt. J. McNAB commands the Campana, with A. CAMERON as first officer. Manitoulin Expositor, May 1, 1886



The old Manitowaning lacrosse club was re-organized this week, when John COYNE was elected captain, and Robt. BASKERVILLE, secretary. The members are anxious to hear of similar organizations being formed at Little Current, Gore Bay, Bruce Mines and Thessalon, with a view to having a series of matches during the season. It is probable that the boys will measure sticks with the Cape Croker Indians before the season is over. Manitoulin Expositor, May 1, 1886



The Board of License Commissioners for Algoma East — Messrs. THORBURN, SIMS and TINKIS – met at Little Current last Saturday and granted the following licenses for the 1886-77: TAVERNS:
Killarney – John EGAN, jr., Octave LAHAYE, sr.
Manitowaning – J. RIDDELL, A. McLEOD.
Michael’s Bay – E. TINKIS
Little Current – Thos. ENGLISH, B. MACKAY
Kagawong – Jno. GRAY
Gore Bay – H.B. HUNT, H. L. McLEAN, Jno. BARRY
Spanish – A. J. FLAVIN
Thessalon – Hugh JACKSON
Bruce Mines – Alex. McKINNON, M. PARKS
Otter Tail – Jno. McKENZIE
St. Joseph – Mrs. ARCHIBALD, Hilton; Thos. BRANDON, Richards; Jno. M. ROSS, Sailors’ Encampment
Sault Ste. Marie – S.E. MILLER, E. MURRAY, W. ALBON

Sault – W. H. PLUMMER
Otter Tail – J.F. DAY
Bruce – Geo. MARKS
Manitoulin Expositor, May 1, 1886



Bryan MACKAY, who was shot and wounded by John WILLIAMS, near Little Current, on April 8th, died on Monday at midnight.
The circumstances of the case are briefly as follows: There had been bad blood between the men for some time, and on the 8th ult., Bryan went to WILLIAMS’ place when an altercation took place, after which WILLIAMS seized a double-barreled shot-gun and shot MACKAY in the left hand and hip. It was not expected that the wound would result fatally until a few days before deceased died.
MACKAY was one of the pioneers at Little Current, a shrewd, long-headed business man, and had succeeded in amassing considerable property. WILLIAMS was a sort of farmer, living within a mile of Little Current.
As WILLIAMS will doubtless be put on trial for his life, it is only fair for newspapers to be very guarded in their comments in reference to the matter. His case is now one to be dealt with in a judicial manner by twelve of his peers, and not by street corner gossip or newspaper. Manitoulin Expositor, May 1, 1886



Tougald! You know Tougald? Tougald LOGAN, of Sandfield. She’ll have wheat up over a week ago. Manitoulin Expositor, May 1, 1886



The past few months have witnessed a number of deaths among horses. Besides those previously reported, David McDONALD of Sandfield, has lost one; Frank WAGG, of Carnarvon, two; and Wm. COOPER, of Assiginack, one. Manitoulin Expositor, May 1, 1886



Kagawong: J. & C. NOBLE, in addition to their capacious ice house, have erected a large packing house. They now have everything in good shape; all but setting their nets. Jas. CUMMINGS commenced plowing on the 16th April and commenced sowing on the 19th.
Capt. Jno. SULLIVAN spent a few days with us last week. He left Poverty Bay on Tuesday last.
We are sorry to learn that Mrs. E. FOSTER is no better and there is at present little hope of her recovery. Manitoulin Expositor, May 1, 1886



Providence Bay: We had a pleasant call from Jno SUTHERLAND and D. ANDERSON, of Gore Bay, today.
R.W. MUTCHMOR talks of starting his saw mill this week.
Manitoulin Expositor, May 1, 1886



We regret to learn that W.S. GIBBON, one of our enterprising mail contractors, has been confined to his room for several days with an attach of rheumatic fever and that although now improving he is still under doctor’s care. Manitoulin Expositor, May 1, 1886



The funeral of the late Bryan MACKAY whose death was the result of a gunshot wound in the hand, took place on Wednesday afternoon and was largely attended. Manitoulin Expositor, May 1, 1886



A flying rumor is current to the effect that a young named HOGAN and a companion are supposed to have been drowned while crossing Lake Wolsely, near Gore Bay. Also that Wm. McRAE and another man, who went to search for them, have failed to return. We trust there is no truth in these reports. Manitoulin Expositor, May 1, 1886



Mr. Donald McCAIG, of Rockwood, at one time Inspector of Public Schools for the County of Wellington, has been appointed Inspector of Schools for the District of Algoma (Globe) Manitoulin Expositor, May 8, 1886



Walter BUSH is leaving for the North West Tuesday week, 18th inst. Meantime he wishes all who owe him would pay up, and also that those having claims against him would present them. Manitoulin Expositor, May 8, 1886



The rumor of a very sad drowning accident, which we published last week, is unhappily confirmed, as will be seen by the report of the tragedy in this issue, copied form the Guide of the 3rd. We extend our sincere sympathy to the bereaved relatives. Manitoulin Expositor, May 8, 1886



Jno. ROBINSON, of Sandfield, removed to Little Current last Saturday. Manitoulin Expositor, May 8, 1886

The body of HOGAN, one of the first two drowned in Lake Wolsely, has been recovered. Manitoulin Expositor, May 8, 1886



H.E. ROSS left on str. Atlantic for the Sault, Michigan. He intends opening a butcher shop and general provisions store. We all wish Harry every success. Manitoulin Expositor, May 8, 1886




Isaac HOGAN, of the township of Burpee, and J.B. GANTON, of Toronto, both young men, came from Burpee, across Campbell’s Bay, on the ice to Gore Bay, on Monday, the 19th inst., in company with Dr. JOHNSTON, of this place, who was over attending some patients, young GANTON coming over for medicine; they started for home at ten o’clock p.m., with the intention of crossing the ice that night. On Thursday Mr. Wm. MARTIN and Jacob SCOTT, of Burpee, came over with the news that the young men had not reached home up to the time of their leaving. Upon hearing that they had not been heard of, Mr. W. F. McRAE, of this village, a brother-in-law of HOGAN, started with Mr. Martin SCOTT and a young man, a son of Mr. MARTIN, to see if any cue of the whereabouts of HOGAN and GANTON could be found. They went to a place, Indian Point, that runs out between Campbell’s Bay and Lake Wolseley, there being a shoal and a narrow passage between Burpee and the township of Gordon. The water being open, the men got a canoe left there by two Indians who were over to this village. Mr. McRAE, MARTIN and his son started across intending for one of them to come back after SCOTT, the distance only being twenty-five or thirty rods across. When about half way they met with some mishap and upset the canoe. McRAE and MARTIN hung to the canoe, and young MARTIN started to swim for the shore, but his father insisted on his returning to the canoe and hang to that, thinking the water was so cold that he could not reach the shore, and hoping that the Indians from the village which is situated on the Burpee shore would rescue them. Their shouts were heard a long distance, but the Indians were some distance away in the sugar bush. Finally two squaws, the wives of the two men that were here, thinking that it was their husbands, put off in a canoe, but by the time that the squaws got started, McRAE and MARTIN had become exhausted, and fell off and were drowned. The squaws passed young MARTIN, it now being quite dark, and made for the shore where SCOTT had been all the time powerless to render any assistance. As he had no means of getting to them, he sent the squaws back and they rescued young MARTIN in an unconscious state, having hung one hour and a half to the canoe. The bodies of McRAE and MARTIN were recovered Friday morning. Mr. McRAE was one of our oldest residents, and owner of one of the mills here. He leaves a wife and four small children. He was buried with Masonic and Orange honors. Mr. MARTIN was one of Burpee’s first settlers, and clerk of the municipality. He leaves a wife and two grown-up children. HOGAN and GRANTON are undoubtedly drowned as they have not been heard from up to going to press. (Guide) Manitoulin Expositor, May 8, 1886